Saturday 8 September 2012

Out and About... Designing Women: Post-War British Textiles

This Summer...

Another trip to London led me to the Fashion and Textiles museum where there was an exhibition on called Designing Women: Post-War British Textiles (16th March 2012 - 16th June 2012). I was eager to go to this exhibition because the area I am focusing on in my next project is going to be WW2. I wanted to see what prints and textiles there were around at this time and where they developed, and how the war might have effected the printing and textile industry.

The exhibition mainly focused on 3 designers, Lucienne Day, Jacqueline Groag and Marian Mahler. Displaying how their prints were used in furnishings, wall paper and fashion.

They used inspiration such as nature, nautical and even surrealism. Lucienne Day especially helped to fuse fine art with fabric, something that was uncommon at the time. She had said that she wanted 'for war-weary Britons, who were starved of interesting things for their homes in the war years' to have a bright and optimistic future which was shown through her designs.

Lucienne Day Calyx 1951

Lucienne Day Flotilla 1952

Lucienne Day Magnetic 1957

Lucienne Day Ducatoon 1959

Marian Mahler

Marian Mahler
I like how they have used simple geometric shapes and repeated them and overlapped them to make a continuing pattern. I like how the colours are bright and I like the combinations of colour they have used in their patterns that compliment and work well together. My favourite one out of these pictures is the Ducatoon one by Lucienne Day.  I like how it looks like it has been printed by hand with an object to get the rough edge outline, also it is completely different to the rest of them. Whereas all the other prints are very neat, geometric sharp crisp lines to the pattern in the print, I like how this one looks a bit more rough and hand done.

(all photos are my own from Fashion & Textiles museum)

No comments:

Post a Comment