Thursday 6 September 2012

Out and About... Ballgown Exhibition

This Summer....

I finally have internet in my new flat!! Woohoo!! I've felt very cut off from what has being going on but I have also enjoyed the time I would have spent on the computer doing other things. I've been exploring the area around where our new home is, trying to find the quickest way to and from work etc and also I have started a memory book to capture important and special memories from this year, such as my 24th birthday, getting engaged, going on trips and so on...

So here is one thing I have done this summer...

Every year in London an event is held called Graduate Fashion Week, where all students graduating fashion and textiles that year can exhibit their work to help get work and for buyers to buy their designs. I did not go last year so it was really exciting and eye opening to see the amount of work has to be done. (Started to panic a little bit too).

Also as 2nd years we had a chance to enter some competitions for George at Asda which were run through GFW and they selected 6 for each one. I am proud to say one of my friends from my class got selected and then won the childrenswear collection. Well done Harriet!

On the same day I then poodled over to the V & A to visit the Ballgowns: British Glamour Since 1950 exhibition. You weren't allowed to take pictures in the exhibition which was a bit annoying but I wrote down all the names and done some sketches so I could research them later. The exhibition is still on now so I highly recommend a visit. I got to see dresses up close that you wouldn't normally get the chance to, such as Alexander McQueen, Erdem, Mary Katrantzou, Giles, Christopher Kane etc

My favourite was the Erdem dress on show from their AW08 collection.

Erdem AW08
 
It reminds me of a butterfly and I like how the bright yellow contrasts with the purpley blues on the bottom half like the floral images are climbing their way up the dress.
 
There were other dresses on show just before the exhibition that you were allowed to take pictures of, showing dresses through the ages and showing how they have developed. I obviously went in the wrong way (typical me) and ended up starting from the earliest garments and working my way back through. Still really interesting and inspiring to see how the garment shapes have changed and the structure of them going from really rigid, uncomfortable looking dresses to the free, loose and manoeuvrable of the 1920s on wards.
 
Prints from the 1970s

Cocktail dress by Balenciaga 1962

Evening dress by Hubert de Givenchy 1964

Dress, 'Batignolles' by Christian Dior S/S 1952
Brooch, 'Marquise' by Mitchel Maer about 1950
Gloves by Jean Patou about 1960

Utility coat, suit and blouse by Elspeth Champcommunal for Worth Autumn 1942
Utility suit about 1941
Gas Mask bag by H. Wald & Co 1940-42
 

Evening ensemble by Elsa Schiaparelli 1938

Bathing Costume, yellow 1937-39
Bathing Costume by Neyret, white 1937

Love the layout of this sketchbook with design ideas, around the 1800s

I don't have any information on this picture but from looking at the other pictures I have of next to it, I am guessing at around the early 1800s
 :)
 
(Erdem pic referenced, all others are my own from the V&A)


No comments:

Post a Comment